This is the second online Mini Series I have done, and I have found both so convenient and flexible as they allow me to work around my small children.
I enjoyed it and enjoyed being able to do at my own pace. It’s much easier to do the webinars when I have quiet time at home or in practice.
- Get back into your surgical groove with this fully flexible online course
- Basic Abdominal Surgery
- Wounds and Abscesses
- Skin Masses
- You have a whole year’s access to recorded sessions and study notes for reviewing key points
- Superb value for money - you learn without travelling or paying for accommodation, childcare or petcare
- Watch the recordings on your iPad, mobile, PC or tablet
- Self-assessment quiz to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification
Basic Abdominal Surgery
- How to open the abdomen safely and easily
- Performing a thorough exploratory laparotomy
- How to improve access to all organs
- How to recognize what is normal and abnormal
- Using photos and videos, demonstrate how to perform
- Gastrotomy for foreign body removal
- Enterotomy for foreign body removal
- Enterectomy for necrotic intestine or tumour
- Cystotomy for removal of bladder and urethral stones
Wounds and Abscesses
- Initial management of a critically ill wounded animal
- Lavage and debridement techniques for acute wounds
- How to decide if a wound can heal by second intention
- How to decide when it is appropriate to surgically close a wound
- What to do if a wound is too big to close by simple apposition
- How to approach a dog with an abscess – is there a foreign body hiding inside?
- When can fine needle aspirates be relied upon for a diagnosis
- When should a mass be biopsied and what is the easiest way to do it
- Suture patterns for subcutaneous tissue and skin closure; use of staples and glue
- How to resect a benign mass
- Decision making for malignant masses (mostly soft tissue sarcomas)
- Staging and what to do if there is lung metastasis
- Low grade vs high grade tumours
- What size margin should I take?
- Masses on the limbs
- Large masses
- Masses in difficult locations
- Can I leave a mass in an old dog?
- Feline injection site sarcomas
BVSc(Hons) CertSAS DipECVS FRCVS
Alison graduated from the University of Bristol in 1996. She spent four years in general practice, and worked at the Royal Veterinary College for seven years as an Intern, Resident and then Lecturer in Small Animal Surgery. She joined Anderson Moores Veterinary Specialists in 2008 where she works as a Soft Tissue Surgeon. She is interested in and competent in all aspects of soft tissue surgery, including interventional radiology techniques. Alison became a Diplomate of the European College of Veterinary Surgeons in 2005, and is an RCVS Recognised Specialist in Small Animal Surgery and a Fellow of the RCVS.
Alison regularly gives lectures and webinars to vets and nurses, both in the UK and abroad. She is the Surgery Program co-ordinator for the BSAVA certificate program and an examiner for the RVC’s CertAVP. She has been an external examiner for the certificate program at Edinburgh University.
She is involved with the veterinary community and has volunteered as Associate Editor of the Journal of Small Animal Practice, been a member of the BSAVA Education committee and spent 10 years on the committee of the Association of Veterinary Soft Tissue Surgeons, most recently as President.
She co-edited the second edition of the BSAVA 'Manual of Canine and Feline Wound Management and Reconstruction’ and has published many book chapters and clinical and research papers.
12 months access to recordings and course materials is included. Please note that these are webinar recordings and not live events. Full details on how to access the Mini Series will be emailed to you.
Just £347 +VAT*
* overseas customers outside the EU will not be charged VAT. Overseas customers in the EU; provide your VAT number and we will refund the VAT.
100% Money Back Guarantee
Buy with absolute confidence as your purchase is protected by our 100%, no quibble money-back guarantee
Very thorough and comprehensive courses. The course notes are a great addition too.