This is the second online Mini Series I have done, and I have found both so convenient and flexible as they allow me to work around my small children.
I enjoyed it and enjoyed being able to do at my own pace. It’s much easier to do the webinars when I have quiet time at home or in practice.
- Differentiating between an assistance and emotional support animal
- Exploring the distinct role of emotional support animals
- Introducing relationship-centred care
- You have a whole year’s access to recorded sessions and study notes for reviewing key points
- Superb value for money - you learn without travelling or paying for accommodation, childcare or petcare
- Watch the live meetings OR the recordings on your mobile, PC or tablet
- Self-assessment quiz to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification
Understanding the person-assistance animal relationship
- Explain and explore the differences between an assistance animal (including medical assistance dogs) and emotional support animals (ESA)
- Identify different types of assistance animals and their contexts, including case studies of assistance animal partnerships
- Introduce Attachment Theory as model for understanding person-assistance animal relationships
- Implications for veterinary practice
Emotional Support animals and mental health
- Develop understanding of what an emotional support animal is and how this is different to a pet/companion animal
- Explore the types of mental health difficulties emotional support animals may help with, including case study examples
- Psychological understandings of the person -ESA relationship
- Implications for veterinary practice
Relationship-centred care and assistance animal partnerships
- Identifying the importance and principles of relationship-centred care
- Compassionate communication skills
- A partnership in care: Empathy and shared decision making
- Considerations for bereavement and loss support
Dr Susie Dawson
DCounsPsych, PhD, CPsychol
Dr Susie Dawson is an HCPC Registered Counselling Psychologist and Chartered Psychologist with The British Psychological Society. Susie works with the NHS in a consultancy role within a Complex Safeguarding Team and also has a private practice. Susie has two doctorates (DCounsPsych; PhD); her Professional Doctoral Research (2015) investigated veterinary surgeons’ experiences of depression. In Susie’s research PhD (2007) she investigated caregivers’ lived experiences of companion animal euthanasia and identified the concept of responsibility grief. Susie has presented her research findings at conferences internationally (Canada, Japan & Vienna) and to BVNA, BEVA and BSAVA. Susie has developed and delivered training programmes for veterinary surgeons and nurses, including being a touring guest speaker for Hills Pet Nutrition. Susie has two master’s degrees; in addition to Susie’s first degree she also has PGCE and is a qualified teacher. Susie is trained in advanced skills in compassion focused therapy and Dialectical Behavioural Therapy Skills; she is currently in completing training mindfulness teacher training. Susie has a particular interest in neurodiversity, trauma sensitive mindfulness and compassion-focused approaches to self-care. Before becoming a psychologist Susie worked with a number of animal welfare charities including, The Blue Cross, The RSPCA and RSPCA International in post war Bosnia.
Session 1 – Wednesday 7th July 2pm-4pm
Session 2 – Wednesday 21st July 2pm-4pm
Session 3 – Wednesday 4th August 2pm-4pm
Easy To Attend!
No special equipment required...just a decent broadband connection
Can't Make One Of The Live Events?
It doesn’t matter……all sessions are recorded and you have access to them for a full 12 months after the course.
Just £227 +VAT*
* overseas customers outside the EU will not be charged VAT. Overseas customers in the EU; provide your VAT number and we will refund the VAT.
100% Money Back Guarantee
Buy with absolute confidence as your purchase is protected by our 100%, no quibble money-back guarantee
Very thorough and comprehensive courses. The course notes are a great addition too.