Brilliant course, learnt so much! Has given me a lot to think about when observing dog's body language. Also, has given me a big insight into socialization / habituation so hopefully can advise pet owners a lot better
This course has helped me with Desensitization and counter conditioning - understanding how to support both the pet and owner Steps to take within the practice to prevent and diffuse animals becoming aggressive due to veterinary intervention
- Discover the latest research into canine aggression to explain the complex drives behind it
- You have a whole year’s access to recorded sessions and study notes for reviewing key points
- Superb value for money - you learn without travelling or paying for accommodation, childcare or petcare
- Watch the live meetings OR the recordings on your iPad, mobile, PC or tablet
- Self-assessment quiz to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification
Triggers and Influences for Canine Aggression
- What the evolutionary purpose of aggression is and how this affects its use
- What the physiological and behavioural differences between predatory and emotional aggression are
- Which physiological and developmental factors influence an individual dog’s future use of aggression
- How current environmental influences affect aggression and how these work individually and in combination
- The current thinking about dominance and dominance hierarchies in dogs
Preventing Aggression through Socialisation and Communication
- The importance of good early socialisation and habituation, and ongoing social development for preventing fear and so defensive aggression
- How training simple commands can prevent conflict and frustration in both dog and owner
- The role of inappropriate punishment in the development of aggressive behaviour and techniques for dissuading owners from resorting to it
- How to read signals that a dog is fearful or feeling defensive, to prevent this escalating to threat or aggression
- Awareness of how human body language can inadvertently mimic dog threat behaviour to trigger defensive behaviour
Handling, Managing and Referring the Aggressive Dog
- Methods for preventing defensive aggression in practice
- Modifications to the environment
- Changes in approach and handling
- Teaching dogs to feel more relaxed when visiting the surgery
- How to teach dogs to accept interventions and to wear a muzzle without causing distress
- The key legal implications of owning an aggressive dog including updates on the Dangerous Dogs Act and civil liabilities
- How to assess the level of risk and identify key risks that need to be managed
- First aid advice that can be given in practice to prevent deterioration and manage risk
- How to identify an appropriately qualified and accredited canine behaviour specialist for ongoing advice on management or elimination of aggressive behaviour
Stephanie Hedges BSc (Hons) CCAB
Stephanie has a first class honours degree in Veterinary Nursing and worked as a vet nurse for over 20 years. She studied Applied Animal Behaviour at the University of Southampton and started her canine behaviour practice in 2005. She is a full member of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors and now combines her full time role as a Behaviour Counsellor with lecturing undergraduates in companion animal behaviour, acting as the Veterinary Nursing Rep for Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors and speaking engagements for dog clubs, veterinary practices, CPD providers and professional organisations.
All the sessions are now available as recordings and you have access to them for a full 12 months after purchase.
So buy now and take advantage of this fully flexible online CPD format.
Easy To Attend!
No special equipment required...just a decent broadband connection
It will make me think about my body language when coming into contact with dogs in consult, and being more aware of dogs body language. Also will give me confidence to advise clients on proper socialization of their puppies
Just £327 +VAT*
* overseas customers outside the EU will not be charged VAT. Overseas customers in the EU; provide your VAT number and we will refund the VAT.
100% Money Back Guarantee
Buy with absolute confidence as your purchase is protected by our 100%, no quibble money-back guarantee
Very thorough and comprehensive courses. The course notes are a great addition too.